Good management of your corporate IT assets allows you to prevent failures and reduce the operating costs of your IT system. IT asset management ensures its sustainability and is a major issue for your business.
IT equipment, definition
The term computer park refers to all of the hardware and software resources that make up your computer system. For managing the RECENT POSTS this is important now.
The computer park includes:
- Fixed or portable workstations, central units and their accessories: screen, keyboards, mouse, etc.
- Peripherals: printers, scanner, graphics tablets, videoconferencing camera and microphone, external hard drives, etc.
- Servers and NAS
- The cloud
- The physical network and network equipment: switch, Wi-Fi hotspots, firewall, modem, temperature sensors
- Computer data: active data, archived data
- All the software and applications used as well as their licenses.
- Mobile devices, smartphones and tablets.
What is IT asset management?
IT asset management brings together a set of tasks aimed at maintaining, developing and optimizing all of the company’s IT resources.
- Identify and locate all the elements of the IT infrastructure.
- Define the organization of the computer system.
- Administer servers and network equipment.
- Manage all third-party providers linked to IT (software support, hardware support, internet operator, etc.).
- Protect the IT infrastructure with advanced security tools.
- Ensure preventive maintenance and troubleshooting of IT equipment.
- Set up procedures for renewing computer stations, servers and network equipment according to a predefined life cycle.
- Provide user training in IT uses.
- Establish an IT charter.
- Guarantee the optimal functioning of the computer park.
How to manage a computer park?
IT asset management requires the use of specific tools and procedures.
Use a computer park management tool
The first step in good IT fleet management is undoubtedly the inventory of the fleet.
This must be exhaustive and updated in real-time. You must, therefore, have a database listing all of your computer equipment, accessories and network equipment.
- This database called CMDB, or Configuration Management Data Base, must group together the equipment serial numbers, passwords, licenses, hardware status, date of purchase, end of warranty date, outsourcing or assistance contracts and any technical specificity that it is relevant to know about your IT equipment (capacity of disks, RAM, connectors, etc.).
- Forget the Excel file, several software for IT asset management have been designed by professionals. They will allow you to carry out efficient IT asset management.
- This inventory of IT equipment allows you to clean up your IT equipment by taking stock of the actual use of workstations, licenses and any equipment related to IT. Obsolete equipment can thus be removed from the fleet, avoiding wasting time and money with the management of unused equipment.
Automate the updating of equipment
Your computer system must be kept up to date. Software updates bring new functionalities but above all allow to correct the security vulnerabilities of the programs. Most updates can be done automatically. Appropriate software also makes it possible to automate certain tasks. The updates in question must be carried out on all the machines in the IT infrastructure.
To facilitate fleet management, the application of updates and the purchase of workstations, it is preferable to standardize your computer park on a few typical workstation profiles. The definition of job profiles allows you to validate standard configurations for your company with your employees according to their uses: management, accounting, marketing, production workshop, etc. It is possible to define a job profile by department or by a group of employees. users.